Thursday, December 06, 2007

Susan's Legacy . . .

God continues to do exceedingly abundant above that which
we hoped or asked for. Yesterday I went with Dani and
Pastor Sabu to Pastor's mother-in-law's home. Pastor's
wife Bindu comes from a conservative Roman Catholic
background. They wanted me to share with his in-laws. On
the way they mentioned to me that his mother-in-law has
stage 3 breast cancer and had just returned home from
getting a chemo treatment. When I arrived I knew that
this was the visit for which the LORD brought me to India.
I was able to share with her about my own story and how
when Catherine and I married her mother and I had many
discussions about what it means to be Christian. I shared
that at first I tried to get Susan (Cat's mom) to convert
away from the Catholic Church, but later realized that the
LORD was asking me to teach her from the Scriptures what
biblical salvation is - not change her church. As Susan
and I spent time together she came to understand that
salvation is not by works, but by grace alone through
faith alone. I shared about how Susan used to call me her
Boaz (see the book of Ruth) and I called her my Naomi.
This really connected with Pastor Sabu's mother-in-law. I
was then able to share the gospel with her and she told me
she wanted to be sure that she'd be with God when she
died. Little did I know that Elena and Emma (another
team) were visiting Sabu's own parents who are also
Catholic. While there they learned about Sabu's
mother-in-law. So they had a time of prayer for her
there. Last night while we were sharing as a team Elena
and I realized that she was interceding for Sabu's
mother-in-law at 1:00 pm, not having any idea that I was
there sharing the gospel. Elena had compassion because
she lost her own mom to breast cancer last year.
Amazingly, it was exactly 1pm when I was leading Sabu's
mom in a prayer of repentance and faith! God's ways are
so much higher than our own. Who would've thought that in
His wisdom I would be able to share Susan's testimony over
a year after she went to be with the LORD with a lady that
she has so much in common with. And that Susan's
testimony of faith in Christ led this woman to faith in
Christ!!! Praise you Jesus for your manifold wisdom, for
we could never plan things like this.

No comments: