Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Journey Begins at Home

Today God granted me the opportunity to share with 2 Muslims and 1 former Buddhist.

First at our children’s school Thanksgiving program I was able to share with a friend’s Muslim co-teacher. She was delighted when I greeted to her in her language. Simple greetings open the door to wonderful conversations. I challenge you to learn the greetings of those from different cultures around you (Hola – Spanish; Namaste – traditional Indian; Asalaam Aleykum – universal Islamic greeting; Shalom – Jewish; Onyon Hasayo – Korean; Sawadee Kraap – Thai etc.). Anyway, after this woman responded with joy at my greeting, I challenged her to learn more about Jesus and promised that I’d send more information to her through our mutual friend (who happens to be a Christ-follower).

Second, a few weeks ago I went into a store with my wife. When there we met the store manager who we quickly learned is a Muslim from Asia. After talking with her and showing interest in her culture, she became more interested in us. We shared a brief testimony with her that we have been born again and are followers of Jesus. I asked her what she knew about Jesus and she said that she believed all roads lead to God – provided they are sincere. With that I told her that Jesus proclaimed himself to be the only road to God and asked if she’d ever read the Injil (New Testament). She told us that she hadn’t, but she’d like to. So we promised to bring her one as a gift when we returned to pick up my clothes. Today we walked into the store and when she saw us she smiled and asked, “Did you bring my gift????” We talked more with her and she she’s ready to read what Jesus said about himself . . . and share it with her whole family. Her dad just arrived from Iran today and she’s going to share the bible with him. I also gave her a tract and she said she’s so excited to learn more. Before we left we gave her Cat’s cell # and we agreed to talk regularly and that we’d have her over for dinner around Christmas. As we were walking out she said “You are so different from others I’ve met here. You actually care to know me and about my customs. You care enough to share with me about your beliefs as well. Please don’t forget about me.” Jesus told us that the fields are white unto harvest. But where are the laborers that will recognize it? Pray that WORD comes ALIVE in her heart!!!

Finally, we went to lunch with my mom at a little pizza joint that my mom met us at. Mom was telling us on the way in how the girl that works there always remembers her order and what great service she gives. We walked in and sure enough, the young lady that waited on us asked mom if she wants the “usual.” (Not sure if that says that the waitress is keen or if mom eats too much pizza???) Anyway, the young lady was obviously Asian so I asked where she’s from. “Cambodia.” I said, “I was there in 1998 training a group of churches. When did you move here?” She shared that she came here when she was 5 years old – Pol Pot’s regime was executing half the country’s population in the Killing Fields . . . including MANY of her family members. So I asked if she’s Buddhist (majority religion in Cambodia). She said, “I was when my family moved here when I was 5. We lived in Chamblee. But a church used to send groups into our neighborhood to do VBS and I learned about Jesus there. That’s where I became a Christian and I haven’t looked back.” That’s solid. Somebody recognized a Divine opportunity and seized it. Somebody took the time to show compassion to her and her family. Somebody took the time to share the Gospel and she was radically transformed. I could see it in her smile. I could hear it in her voice when she talked about the LORD.

And so that’s my prayer – for me and for you. That years down the road multitudes will look back and tell others the story of the time that you and I came into their neighborhood, or office, or school or village and brought the Good News. Maybe the children of a Muslim teacher or clothing store manager will one day be able to say, “Yea. My family used to be Muslim. But mom told me about a man that took time one day to . . . . Is that what you’re praying for? If not, look around you. The fields are WHITE! Will you be a laborer in them? Here, there and everywhere. All the time. The journey begins today, where you’re at. But it doesn’t stop there.

Please pray the following Scripture for our team as we head to India this week:
Colossians 4:2-6
"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful & thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, . . . Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders, make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

No comments: