Monday, August 27, 2007

A World-Class Discipler, An Islamic Scholar and a Rabbi

I recently realized that I forgot to post this info from earlier in the summer when I traveled to Budapest as a part of the Strategy Working Group of the 2010 Lausanne Conference.

Thanks for your prayers when I was at Lausanne back in June. I continue to be amazed at the connections that I have been able to make at this historic meeting.


One day I was blessed to spend time with Robert
Coleman, author of one of my "top 5 most influential
books" list. He wrote "Master Plan of Evangelism" which
gave me a heart for making disciples at home and abroad.
Those of you whom I have invested in . . . it was largely due to
the influence of Dr. Coleman's book. The book looks at the model of Jesus and how his plan for evangelizing the world was primarily to make reproducing disciples. If you've never read it, drop what you're reading now and take a day to take this in.


One evening I had dinner with an amazing brother from North Africa who has a ministry reaching out to Muslim scholars. He himself is a Muslim background follower of Jesus and has
won many converts to Christ. Now he has trained a small army of men to engage Muslim scholars with the gospel so that their influence can be used to spread a movement quickly. He has seen 54 Islamic scholars come to faith in Jesus this year alone! We shared stories and encouraged and prayed together. I was able to share with him some of the simple equipping resources that I have produced and he is excited about implementing them on his return home. I learned much from him on how to be more effective in engaging Muslims, but he was very encouraging with regards to what I've already been doing.

Then on the way home I had the privilege of meeting the Mitch Glaser, the founder and head of Chosen PeopleMinistries. He is a Messianic Jew and is an amazing man. We started talking about the book of John and how Jesus engaged Jews at the heart level. At the end of the night
he prayed for me a beautiful prayer and agreed to be a "rabbi" (teacher) to me in the days ahead. I look forward to future conversations getting his amazing insight into
the Scriptures.

I am blessed and humbled to have been a part of this time. My life has been enriched by the network that I've met. Thanks to each of you for praying for me this week.

No comments: