Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Another Milestone in the Journey

This past weekend marked another milestone in this crazy but wonderful journey the LORD has the Robinson family on. It was 20 years ago (gulp) that I graduated from Central Gwinnett High School without a clue as to what I wanted to be when I grew up. Four and a half years (the half year was lost when I actually dropped out for a while) later I graduated from the University of Georgia with a BA in Political Science, having become a new creation in Christ only one semester before commencement. Still unsure about what I wanted to be, I started working on a Masters in Education thinking that I'd work my way back to the good ole days of high school to get a little revenge on my teachers by becoming their peer. After 5 years of teaching (and tormenting my former teachers as their peer) God called Catherine and I back to school again - this time to prepare to go on the mission field by getting an M.Div. in International Church Planting from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. When I graduated from there in 2001, I actually knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. The only problem was . . . I knew that God was telling us that we were not through with school yet. UGH! So in 2005 I started working on a D.Miss. (Doctor of Missiology) at Western Seminary completing the program in a record 2 years. I was highly motivated to say the least. So this past weekend - April 28, 2007 to be exact - I walked across the stage one final time. This time I know what I want to be when I grow up . . . a child of God, husband to a beautiful wife, father to three amazing kids, friend to sinners and saints alike, and a catalyst for communities of faith where the Gospel transforms lives . . . just like mine.

(photo) - I'm smiling because that package contains my completed dissertation . . . the most expensive package I've ever mailed (if you've ever paid tuition for an advanced degree you'll know what I mean!). The dissertation is 220 pages and is entitled, "The Ministry of E3 Partners as a Case Study of Strategic Cross-cultural Short-term Missions." If you're suffering from insomnia, I got your cure. :) Really, if you're interested in how to do short-term missions strategically then let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy.



(photo) - In this one I'm smiling because my committee put their signatures on what was in the box . . . and because that meant me and my sweetie jumped on a plane and went to Portland, OR for my graduation. On the day before rehearsal we took a Pacific Northwest road-trip. Cat and I are at breathtaking Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge.







(photo) - We had to get our money's worth out of our $17/day rental car so with gas at the bargain price of only $3.20 a gallon we turned around and drove to the Oregon coast . . . worth every penny! Here's Catherine taking a walk on one of the most stunning coastlines I've ever seen near Seaside, OR.





(photo) - Here is Dr. Enoch Wan, Division Chair for the Department of Intercultural Studies, donning me with the Doctoral hood. It was quite an honor to be surrounded by such great men of God. It was also quite humorous that we were all playing "dress up." Many people ask me why I went on to pursue a doctorate. My response, "The hats."

Really, it's humbling to know that my LORD showed grace, favor and gave me the perseverance to get to this milestone in the journey. And if you're still reading this, I ask you to take a moment and pray that God would use me and the training that I have received to expand His glory and increase my joy. Thanks for joining me on the journey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dr. Robinson. Let's see, my high school history teacher is now qualified to be one of my profs! What a great God we serve indeed. George, I am truly blessed to have known you, prayed with you, and sat under you (in high school as well, but more importantly as a man a God of whom I greatly admire and as a man of "whom the world is not worthy" Heb 11:38.) Congrats again.

Mike said...

Excellent work Dr. Robinson! You are sharpening iron.

TJ said...

Congrats, Doc. What an accomplishment, especially in the midst of a wife, children, your ministry, etc.

I join you in saying "Glory to God!"

Tom